Getting organized doesn’t mean you need to take an entire weekend to bury yourself in a cluttered mess of stress. Simplifying your environment and routine is as simple as taking an extra 10 minutes today to focus on improving your physical, digital, or mental space. We believe that getting organized is like getting in shape: it takes one little workout at a time to reach your goal.
So work it out with today’s 10 Minute Organizing Challenge! Today we’re tackling the purse. If you’re a guy, pull out your backpack. Let’s get to it!
This is actually the inside of my purse. I fell prey to a hectic week and ended up shoving a lot of miscellaneous and misplaced items into my own personal pit of doom. Every time I opened my bag to fish out my lipgloss or wallet, I felt a haze of sleepiness and terror roll over me. That’s why I decided to tackle it between appointments. Here’s how I whipped my bag into shape in 10 short minutes.
1. Dump it: Pull out all the items in your bag and spread them out on a clear flat surface.
2. Group like with like: Seeing your groupings spread out on the table will allow you to quickly identify what needs to go. For instance, I had 5 hairbands in my bag, which is far more than I needed in my bag.
2. Purge: Simply tossing your miscellaneous scraps of paper, notes or unneeded receipts will get most of the “junk” out of your way. Identify what items you’re not using regularly. The only belongings in your purse should be items you’re using nearly every day. Anything that doesn’t fall in that category should go in the house or car.
3. Containerize: Use makeup bags and pouches to group your like items together. Other than my wallet and sunglass case, I used two pouches to containerize small items. In one pouch I put makeup and hair items. In the other pouch I put my earphones, gum, notepad, and pens.
5. Prioritize: Place your items in your purse based on how frequently you access them. Items that you access most often, like keys and phone, should go in pockets that are considered “prime real-estate.” That way you can grab them quickly and easily.