When I was growing up my mother would always get a new annual paper planner around this time of year in order to transfer over important dates. She kept it pretty simple with daily tasks, appointments and future engagements. It was really handy for the whole family to reference so that we had an idea of what was going on that day, week, or month.
So when I actually had enough going on in my busy schedule to need a planner myself, I jumped on the bandwagon! Since there are so many options to choose from, here are a few suggestions to help find the perfect planner for you!
1. Ask yourself, “What will I use this for?” Many people use their planner only for tracking appointments, while others like to write notes to themselves. This is important to think about because if you don’t have enough room to write down everything you need to reference, then the organization of the planner goes out the window!
2. Depending on how often you carry your planner with you, the size of the planner is important! If you are the type of person to carry your planner everyday, all day, it may be essential to have a smaller, more mobile planner! If you always tend to keep it at home, maybe a larger desk-sized planner would better suit your needs.
3. If you’re a mom, dad, or a part of a large family… Buy a planner with multiple “sections” for each member of the family. If that is too much, you can always color code the items to differentiate each family members’ schedule, important tasks, etc. This is very helpful when one kid has soccer practice and the other has dance lessons, to keep it all straight!
4. Do you plan hourly, daily, weekly, monthly? Some planners schedule hour by hour, opposed to other planners that simply schedule month by month. Consider which format is best for your organization process, so you can find the perfect planner for your needs!
Now that you have an idea on what features you need in your planner, here are my 6 favorite planners for 2016! Don’t worry, we have a little something for everyone!
- FOR THE CREATIVE (daily) PLANNER: Erin Condren Life Planner
- Size: 25”x9.25”
- Format: Morning, day and night
- Fun Features: Personalize the cover and fonts / Fun colors and inspiring quotes
- FOR THE SIMPLE PLANNER: Emily Ley Simplified Planner
- Size: 8”x9”
- Format: Hourly and weekly
- Favorite Features: Space for schedule, to-do, notes, and meals
- FOR THE GOAL-SETTING PLANNER: Passion planner
- Size: 5”x11” and 5.5”x8.5”
- Format: Hourly format
- Focus: Goal setting, to-do lists, and setting intentions
- Fun Feature: Printable Passion Planner sheets – try it out!
- FOR THE WEEKLY PLANNER: Moleskin weekly planner
- Size: Variety of sizes (pocket, slim, large, XL)
- Format: Weekly
- Fun Feature: Simple, yet lots of room for to-do lists, notes, and monthly spread
- FOR THE MONTHLY PLANNER: At-A-Glance monthly planner
- Size: 9”x11”
- Format: Monthly
- Fun Feature: Lots of space to write, simple format
- FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY PLANNER: Mom Agenda
- Size: 5”x7” and 7”x9”
- Format: Weekly
- Fun Feature: Separate space for up to four kids
About the Author: As a celebrity executive assistant, Jen mastered the art of to-do lists, time management, and efficient systems. She began changing lives professionally by putting organizational communication into real world practices and personal situations. After realizing the impact her systems had on an individual’s life, she decided to spread her knowledge and change lives by eliminating stress and clutter. Jen’s organizing company, Life in Jeneral, was born in 2014 to fulfill a lifelong passion of bringing joy to those around her through the tools of organization. Learn more at LifeinJeneral.com
Image via ErinCondren